So you've decided to use jQuery - smart move! Here's how you get it working in Application Express.
- Go to http://jquery.com and download the latest copy of the library. You'll find that each version is released with a few different compression levels. You can read more about them in their site but I recommend the "Packed" version to get you up in running quickly.
- Make the file you downloaded available on your web server. The most common way to do this in ApEx is to drop it in your "/i" directory. I would create a folder under that directory called "jquery" and place it in there. Later this folder can be used to hold the various plugins that you'll want to use.
- Now that the file is available for use you have to "include" it in your ApEx application. To make jQuery available on every page go to Shared Components > Templates. Open the page template that your application is using. Look in the Definition/Header textarea and between the <head> and </head> tags, add a line like the following but with the directory and filename specific to your setup:
* Make sure to update use the version of jquery you downloaded.
- If you application is using multiple page templates and you want to use jQuery in all of them, you'll have to add the line from step 3 to each one. Also, these steps must be repeated for each application. If you or your company has not already done so, you might want to create a custom theme that includes it so that each future application that created will have it by default.